Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Checking the Proofs

Yesterday I was at the printer's checking and signing the proofs for Miguel Nia Jardin. I wasn't expecting the printers to have the proofs ready so quickly. Fantastic stuff! They hope to be printing it on Friday, all being well. The printer and I are on the same page (excuse the pun) regarding the pursuit of quality. He is concerned with providing the right quality of paper to make the photo collages as sharp and clear as they can be. I am concerned that all aspects of the the production of this book be the best that they can be.

I would like to think it is not just about me, about my professional pride, but more about Him for whom the book is written, Him of whom the book speaks. A beautifully produced book about the Gospel message says more about how much we value that message than something rushed and careless. It actually costs very little extra to produce a book well than to print on cheaper paper and do a shoddy job. The difference is not so much in the money spend, but the care taken – the time spend! The book has taken months and months to produce – from writing, to organising translations, illustrating, designing, organising printing. But when it is a labour of love, these hours are as nothing. A thought to ponder on, perhaps, for all those involved in ministry, whatever it may be - all those hours given to Him: I have all eternity to recoup them, do I not?

1 comment:

  1. hello, well done on getting this far. I am involved with distribution of bibles and scriptures across East Timor. What are you planning to do with these books and would it be possible for me to get some? How do you envisage distributing them? samuelbacon1@msn.com
    www.baconsbatimor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete